Frequently Asked Questions

What happens when I call 9-1-1?
When calling 911 the communications officer answering your call will ask you some common questions to verify the information displayed by the 911 database. You should be prepared to give the following information:

  • The address at which the crime/emergency is taking place.
  • What the emergency is. i.e. Fire, Medical, Police
  • The phone number you are calling from.
  • Your Name.
  • You’re home address.
  • Your home phone number.
  • A description of suspects/vehicles (clothing, hair color, license plate, vehicle type and color, direction of travel, etc)

When should I call 9-1-1?

911 is for any Life Threatening emergency.  If you think you need help, don't hesitate to call right away.  Don't call 911 for Non-Emergency situations such as:  Weather or Road conditions, Electrical Outages (Call CMP at 1-800-696-1000), Loud party or Music, Barking dogs, Cat in a tree, Directions or general information.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

For Bath, Topsham, Richmond and Phippsburg, visit your local Police Department during normal business hours to get a copy of a police report.  For all other towns covered by the Sheriffs Department, visit the Courthouse at 752 High St in Bath.  Go to the administration window during normal business hours to get a copy of a police report.

How do I get a harassment or restraining order?

These type of orders need to be obtained through the court system.  Call the West Bath District Court at 207-442-0200.

Can I get a burn permit today?

Fire Permits can be obtained by contacting your local Fire Department.  Richmond, Topsham, Bowdoinham and West Bath residents can also obtain permits online via http://www.wardensreport.com.  Additionally, fire permits for the rest of the county can be obtained online from the State of Maine. Generally, fire permits are only issued on a Class 3 or less day.